We're Going on a Bear Hunt Lapbook Ideas

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

We're Going on a Bear Hunt Lapbook Ideas

Postby ami on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 pm

I would *love* to make a lapbook for this book, but every time I sit down to actually do it, I draw a blank.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to put in a Bear Hunt lapbook? I will gladly make the minit books. :)
Ami*
Walking by the Way with my two curious kids-- Elijah David (10/01) and Simon Daniel (4/06)

“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” --Dorothy Parker
ami
Site Admin

Re: We're Going on a Bear Hunt Lapbook Ideas

Postby Beth on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 pm

My ideas:

Onomatopoeia
Bears-different kinds, habitats, hibernation (in the cave)
weather (snow, wind, storm)
Habitats?-beach, forest, swamp, field, house

Matching game to match noise with habitat.
Venn diagram dog/pet vs bear/wild animal
Beth
Mom to Isaac (18)(Aspie) Emmy (15) Ella (12) Mac (10) Judah (2)
Follow our fun athttp://www.keeslerchaos.blogspot.com
Beth

Postby Celia on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 pm

A mad lib type thing, where you ask the student for a preposition to put in the blanks (is that too old???)

Different kinds of bears & their habitats....could match cards of the different bears with cards depicting their habitats.

Make cards using clipart of the different places (grass, river, cave, etc.) The student could use them as sequencing cards to put in order of occurrence or maybe play a matching game with them, matching them with word cards that say grass, river, cave, etc.

Make some different colored bears for the child to create patterns from. I used to have some colored plastic bears that came with activity cards. The card (printed landscape) had about 4 or 5 rows of bears on them, with about 6 or 7 bears in each row. The first 3 bears (or so) o each row were already colored in to make a pattern, then the student continued the pattern to the end of the row by placing the one of the plastic colored bears on a bear outline provided. You could do the same concept but provide little card bears to place in each outline (could be a rectangle, so the parent did not have to cut around each bear.)

I don't have the manual handy for other ideas and all my ideas seem to be things that would need put in a pocket! :confused:

Celia, homeschooling 12 years with dd 17 and dd14

Dust if you must, but there's not much time, with rivers to
swim and mountains to climb, music to hear and books to
read, family and friends to cherish and life to lead.
Celia

Postby robin d. on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:38 pm

Off the top of my head (I can't find my copy of the book so going off memory), I would suggest the following:
1. A sequencing activity with cards of the route of the bear hunt that the children put in order - mud, grass, river, cave...
2. A story innovation activity where the children do a rewrite. For example, "We're going on an elephant hunt". Perhaps, have the words with blanks to change up the story.
3. Something with position words where the children manipulate an object to demonstrate - under, over, through.
4. Something about that bear walking off down the beach alone - Perhaps misjudging, getting along...
5. Describing words - "oozy mud", "wavy grass", (I hope I'm remembering the text right!)

Those are things I can think of without viewing the book. :)
robin d.

Postby Anne on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:49 am

AtoZ teacher stuff
We're Going on a Bear Hunt Printable
http://kizclub.com/storypatterns/bearhunt(C).pdf

Bear Hunt Extension
http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/colla ... ypeId=2607
Materials
Chart paper
Drawing paper
Crayons and markers

Activity

Ask the children to recall the different experiences that the family encountered while on their bear hunt. List their responses on chart paper.

Encourage the children to imagine that they are going on a bear hunt. Ask them to think of different places they could go — like outer space, an island, a jungle, a zoo, etc. What types of experiences might they encounter in these environments? Record the children's ideas.

Review the list with the children. Ask them to think of a special sound and movement to accompany each idea.

Substitute the new bear-hunt ideas as you reread the book. Encourage them to recite the repetitive phrases and to dramatize their new adventures.

Provide students with drawing materials to illustrate their new bear-hunt ideas. Attach a sheet of paper to the bottom of the drawings to include the repetitive story text and new adventure. Bind the pages together to create a fun classroom read-a-loud.
Classroom Bear Hunt
Materials

Variety of bear items: stuffed teddy bears, teddy bear counters, books with bears, clothing items with bear designs, bear shapes cut from paper, etc.
Children's music
Small plastic bags
Activity

Place the suggested bear items around the classroom before the children arrive or while they are resting.

Begin the activity by rereading the book We're Going on a Bear Hunt.

Explain that they will go on a classroom "bear hunt" to find bears or objects with bears that have been placed throughout the classroom. Provide children with a plastic bag to collect their items.

Tell the children that they will begin their bear hunt when you turn on music. The bear hunt will end when the music is turned off and everyone will meet on the carpet.

Ask them to show their classmates the different bear items they found. Children can count and compare their items
Anne

Postby Kellyc on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:25 pm

lovelovelove this book! My kids do too! Wow, the ideas so far are amazing! I second the sequencing idea:

robin d. wrote:A sequencing activity with cards of the route of the bear hunt that the children put in order - mud, grass, river, cave...
They could be copied on cardstock and put in a pocket. :thumb:

You have a ton of ideas, do you still need any more? Or any thing else you were brainstorming about? woohoo! :hop:
Mom to 4 "mini-coopers"-ds12,dd10,ds8, & ds6
Kellyc

Postby Beth on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:15 am

Muffn Tin meal idea-
Thick oozy mud-chocolate pudding,
Bears-teddy grahams
forest-broccoli, toothpicks with grapes on the ends
river-blue koolaide, blue jello
snow-mashed potatoes, marshmallows, coconut, rice
grass-dyed coconut, green beans (french cut)
cave-pita pocket, 1/2 apple with the core scooped out

I have several muffin tin meals from different books we've rowed. It's silly fun!
Beth
Beth

Postby ami on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Beth wrote:Muffn Tin meal idea-
Bears-teddy grahams

I have several muffin tin meals from different books we've rowed. It's silly fun!

That is SO much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I am going to do this at some point. We probably won't do the unit until next year, but I like to be ready. :)
Ami*
Walking by the Way with my two curious kids-- Elijah David (10/01) and Simon Daniel (4/06)

“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” --Dorothy Parker
ami
Site Admin

Postby Beth on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:29 am

ami wrote:
Beth wrote:Muffn Tin meal idea-
Bears-teddy grahams

That is SO much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I admit I'm having a lot of fun doing it! Think we can add some to existing units/lapbooks?
Beth
Beth

Postby Beth on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Sparkle Box has some Bear Hunt stuff!

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/cll/story/bearhunt.html
Beth
Beth

Next

Return to Sharing with Each Other