PSAT

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

PSAT

Postby Jodi on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 pm

My sophomore just took the PSAT today. I was nervous for him - and I'm quite nervous/anxious for the scores. I hope it doesn't show lack in areas of our schooling. This is the moment of truth for us!! We have never had any standarized testing done before.
Jodi - wife to Ryan for 18 years
Alex (gr 9) and Nicolas (gr 6)

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Prov. 22:6
"Teaching fills the mind. Training shapes the habits." - Clarkson
Jodi

Re: PSAT

Postby Celia on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:53 am

Wednesday was my oldest daughter's third year taking it. This year was her junior year, so it's the only one that counts toward the merit scholarships. Although she is not in range of getting any of the scholarships, it has been good practice. She took the SAT for the first time last spring, and will take it again in this spring. She has gone through College Prep Genius's DVD curriculum twice with a brief review for this year. It has strategies and tips for taking the SAT/PSAT, and, to a lesser degree, the ACT. The SAT, and consequently the PSAT, is notorious for purposely misleading the reader. The CPG course helps kids learn out to avoid common pitfalls. I believe Khan Academy has some fre.e videos for SAT help but I'm not sure if they go over strategies, tips, and common pitfalls.

The new SAT (and I assume there will be a new PSAT) in 2016 is supposed to have less intential misleading.

I facilitated a class for homeschoolers using the CPG program, and one thing I've noticed about our kids around here is that they do not practice writing essays like the ones they will encounter on the SAT (or ACT). If this is of concern to you, you might want to Google SAT essay prompts or ACT essay prompts (they are different!) and practice one each month.
Celia, homeschooling 12 years with dd 17 and dd14

Dust if you must, but there's not much time, with rivers to
swim and mountains to climb, music to hear and books to
read, family and friends to cherish and life to lead.
Celia

Return to Sharing with Each Other