Tricky Situation

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

Tricky Situation

Postby Beth on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Ladies,

We moved this summer to a much smaller, and more rural town, due to Hub's job. There is a LOT less diversity here, and even less in the local homeschool community. Our youngest child happens to be black, and this has been a bit sad for me to see. We've only been meeting with the local homeschoolers a few weeks, and already my older kiddos have heard a few kids express poor opinions of black or hispanic people, simply because of their race. For example, a teen telling about a friend that moved to a bad neighborhood, bad meaning where black people live(her term), and younger child tell his brother to "get away from that brown boy, I don't like him" re. my toddler. Being the newbie, I really do not want to wander around confronting moms about their kid's comments, at the same time, I can't just sit by and let them fly past either. I've already curbed our involvement in the group activities, but hate to deny my kiddos the chance to make homeschooled friends here.

What would you do? Would you speak to the moms of those kids privately? Offer to do a group talk? Group talk for who, the parents or the kids?
My heart is so heavy about this group.
Beth
Mom to Isaac (18)(Aspie) Emmy (15) Ella (12) Mac (10) Judah (2)
Follow our fun athttp://www.keeslerchaos.blogspot.com
Beth

Re: Tricky Situation

Postby Wende on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 pm

:hug:
Beth, I honestly don't know what I would do. How do your children feel about saying something? Could they ask the other child why he doesn't like the "brown baby" or if the "brown baby" did something to hurt him?

Stereotypes are hard to break, and aren't limited to skin color. Over the weekend my girls and I were walking along in a flea market and an elderly man out of nowhere starts insulting the girls just because they are teenagers! I stood up for them, of course, but the guy had his mind made up that all teenage girls are horrid creatures. We discussed how we just need to set the best example we can and let the chips fall where they may. We also discussed how the elderly man is likely to miss out on many blessings in his life due to his closemindedness.

Sorry you are experiencing this and hope you find a solution.
Living and learning along with dh of 26 years, dd17 (senior!) and dd19 (2015 grad!)
Wende

Re: Tricky Situation

Postby Edwena on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 pm

No wisdom to share other than maybe talking to the leaders of the group and seeing what they come up with. Praying for the situation and wisdom for you.
~~Edwena~~ wife to my best friend, joyful momma to my roller coaster loving ds(11), horse loving dd(9)and expecting Elisabeth Faith in Feb. of 2014
Edwena

Return to Sharing with Each Other