Teaching Writing with Structure and Style

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

Teaching Writing with Structure and Style

Postby Edwena on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:21 am

Anyone have the dvd's? Seems super $$$. I would love to see them. Just not sure about the $. Thanks for your opinions.
~~Edwena~~ wife to my best friend, joyful momma to my roller coaster loving ds(11), horse loving dd(9)and expecting Elisabeth Faith in Feb. of 2014
Edwena

Re: Teaching Writing with Structure and Style

Postby ami on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:19 pm

The teacher or student DVDs? Teacher?
Ami*
Walking by the Way with my two curious kids-- Elijah David (10/01) and Simon Daniel (4/06)

“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” --Dorothy Parker
ami
Site Admin

Postby Celia on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:23 am

TWSS is the program that is meant to instruct the teacher. In it, Andrew is talking directly to the parents, explaining the IEW method, teaching the parent how to write the IEW way, and giving tips on teaching students. The SWI program is Andrew teaching the students. There are diffrent levels for different ages/abilities.

The TWSS and the SWIs go hand in hand. In order to use SWI effectively, the parent needs to understand the process and needs to be able to help the student. You get that from the TWSS. You can learn how to teach from the TWSS, and then teach the student and skip using the SWI altogether, but it's more difficult to use the SWI without having the TWSS.

That said, one could order the $10 Overview DVD and view it before starting the SWI. While far cheaper, this overview only gives the parent the rudiments to get through. However, I do have to admit that I never completed watching the TWSS. :blush: But I did enough to get us through SWI-B. I doubt I will ever sell my TWSS, and I do intend on completing it. It is useful for all levels of writing. Even my husband would like to go through it. :thumb: Now that my oldest is taking her first college class, Composition, I know we will be using it.

What sold my husband on IEW and purchasing the TWSS/SWI package is that they offer a 100% money back guarantee with no time limit. If you hate it or stick it on a shelf and come across it 10 years later or whatever, they'll take it back and refund you the purchase price (IF you bought it directy from IEW).

Some find the IEW method very formulaic and easy to identify the writings of students using the the program. However, I like to look at it as setting the student up for success. They really cannot fail using the IEW way. While there is room for the student's voice to come through when using the IEW method, there is a checklist of required items for each assignment. It naturally forces the student think carefully about his word choices and sentence patterns. Once the student has been writing with these checklists for a couple years, it will become fairly automatic. You can relax the requirements when that happens.

Well, sorry for the info-mercial. Yes, I have worked at the IEW booths at conventions. And, yes, I use a lot of IEW products. :blush: (But I don't receive any kickback for promoting their products.) Anyway, I'd be willing to send you the Overview disk from my TWSS set for you to view and return later. I also recommend viewing the webinar archives at IEW. The one on Experiencing IEW is a brief introduction to the method. There are also individual webinars for each unit, but you really need to be familiar with the method and the units prior to watching them.

More than you asked for, but I hope it helps. :kiss:
Celia, homeschooling 12 years with dd 17 and dd14

Dust if you must, but there's not much time, with rivers to
swim and mountains to climb, music to hear and books to
read, family and friends to cherish and life to lead.
Celia

Postby Celia on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Edwena,

I wrote Jill and asked her if my Disk 1, which contains an overview and Units 1 and 2, contains the same as the $10 Overview disk they sell. Here was her answer:

The Structure and Style Overview DVD (SSO) is different than the first disc of your TWSS. It is a newer production of Andrew giving an overview for those who will have students in an IEW class or using the SWI who are not planning to watch the TWSS. It not only overviews the units, but it also gives an introduction to style.

However, if you wanted to loan your friend the first disc of the TWSS, that would get her started. The first two discs would be a little closer to what she would see in the SSO. She can get an SSO DVD for just $10, and it comes with a $10 off coupon for the TWSS or TWSS/SWI combo, so it is worth spending the $ on. :)

Let me know if you want to borrow mine.

I also forgot to mention that IEW products tend to hold their value very well. If you decide to sell them later, they will get scarfed up if you sell them at 75% of what you paid. :cheer:
Celia, homeschooling 12 years with dd 17 and dd14

Dust if you must, but there's not much time, with rivers to
swim and mountains to climb, music to hear and books to
read, family and friends to cherish and life to lead.
Celia

Postby Edwena on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:08 pm

ami wrote:The teacher or student DVDs? Teacher?

I meant the teacher, Ami.
~~Edwena~~ wife to my best friend, joyful momma to my roller coaster loving ds(11), horse loving dd(9)and expecting Elisabeth Faith in Feb. of 2014
Edwena

Postby Edwena on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Celia,
Thanks for the long answer....I am in the more the better camp. I actually bought the SSO DVD like 45 minutes before you replied here. :lol: (Just seeing your reply today though) There was a deal here so I only had to pay shipping for it. You are so kind to offer to let me borrow your 1st DVD though. :hug:

Here is my dilema....we use HOD and the suggested Medieval History - Based Writing Lessons for creative writing since it covers the same time period we are covering in history. This is what HOD said, "While the publisher highly recommends completing either Teaching Writing: Structure and Style or Student Writing Intensive courses first, we have found that this particular guide is so well laid-out that it can be used without any previous Institute for Excellence in Writing experience." Well, we are starting our 3rd week with it and I feel like I am floundering. I think if I understood the premise of it better maybe I would feel more confident. I am not the most confident with writing in general though as I am so black and white. Things like Math and English are so much easier for me.

I watched a free thing on IEW....can't remember which one now and it helped a little,tiny bit. lol I guess for me, so far it feels like plagiarism :( I am sure it is not, and I am sure there is some method to the madness :lol: but I don't know what it is.

With that said, I don't know if we will continue to do IEW in the future, so don't know whether it will be worth buying the Teaching Writing with Structure and Style. Although if IEW is formulaic I may actually love it being black and white and want to stick with it. HOD suggests different programs each year saying that the student will be more well-rounded writer as a result and I can see the logic in that. So do I invest in these DVD's for just using IEW for one year?????? That is the million dollar question. I would love to hear what your opinion is on that.
Edwena

Postby Kellyc on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi Edwena! We love IEW!!! We started with SWI A, moved onto the continuation course.(SICC A) and are continuing with SICC Bthis year. Last year I even did Bible heroes with my youngest and we are doing all things fun and fascinating this year. We use my father's world for history and how I have found that it really isn't that hard to do the separate writing that they suggest with SWI A. My kds love it & so do I. Their writing has improved so much that. Even added the Fix It grammar this year as well. I do have the TWSS, and it was worth watching, but nce we got SWI A and I watch it something "clicked" for me and I understood how to implement it better. Does that make sense? The atWSS are for the teacher & help you use it with any subject. The SWI (A, b, & c- you only end up doing one of these. We. Did A based on our just beginning & my kids ages.) by this really shows/teaches the kids how to write. It is like seeing the TWSS in action. He SWI Teachers manual even coordinates what you should each w/ the TWSS DVDs. Make more sense? Let me know if you have other questions. :)
Mom to 4 "mini-coopers"-ds12,dd10,ds8, & ds6
Kellyc

Postby Edwena on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Kelly,
Thanks for sharing. I would probably love IEW if you do...seems like we tend to gravitate to similar curriculums. :lol: Just wondering if you feel like TWSS is still necessary if you use one of the SWI levels? Seems like online they say yes....what say you? It is just a HUGE chunk of money to get both. Well, it is HUGE when you use a literature rich curriculum, expensive math programs, etc. Let's just say I've already spent this year's homeschool budget, so I would go to dh very hesitantly to ask for more money. Not because he is an ogre, but I try to respect what we put in place, but I am kind of seriously unhappy with the writing situation now and if I could make it better I think I would.

Also how long have you been doing IEW? How many times do you do it each week and how many minutes during those sessions? Thanks for all my questions.
Edwena

Postby Kellyc on Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Hey Edwena! Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I actually did a very detailed reply, hit "submit" and somehow it said I needed to resign in and then when I back spaced the whole message was gone. :crazy: :eek: Anyhooo, doing it from a different computer now so hopefully it'll send like it's sposed to. :thumb:

I LOVE IEW!! For me being an English major I knew how to write well, but I really struggled with teaching my kids to write. I needed help and honestly I know that most times when we think our kids are behind, usually they are not, but in this specific subject I knew they were truthfully falling way behind with the skill of writing. So for me the TWSS was well worth the price (YES, it super expensive, but we took the plunge knowing that many other things had not worked.) One thing I love about IEW is the resale value is VERY high. So you would actually end up getting some of that upfront cost back. Also, if you do end up buying directly from IEW and decide that the TWSS wasn't actually necessary for you, they have a 100% guarantee. :cheer: Having said all that I have found that the actual SWI dvds are super helpful. I actually watch them with my kids and then they do the lesson. I help when/if I am needed, but that is not as much any more. The only reason I am keeping our TWSS is in case I need extra help with the higher levels (ie SICC, elegant essay, etc.) which is where we are headed next year.

We have been using IEW for almost two years (in january) and I am so thankful. I loved it so much and saw so much improvement with my two oldest using SWI A and I used Bible Heroes with my 8yo. During that time the older two finished using SWI A and moved on to the continuation course (SICC A). This year, we are doing SICC B with the two oldest and All Things Fun and Fascinating with the two youngest and then we'll move on to SWI A. (Technically, Bible Heroes comes after All Things Fun and Fascinating, but my youngest wasn't ready for it so we are easing into it all and most importantly he loves it.)

My schedule for the two oldest is 5xs a week which may sound like a lot, but they needed it. Also, now that they have a hang of the process it takes may 20-30 min a day and that includes writing, typing, editing. It may take a little longer if the dvd is longer, but even then I might split that in half so it fits in that time frame. The two youngest do it about 2-3 times a week and it is around 20 min. Thinking of actually making adding 1-2 more days and keeping it flexible. (ie so we would be doing it 3-4 days a week) But at this point all the kids enjoy writing and are learning how to write. That is a bonus right there. :cheer:

Here is my now 13yo's paper on our state study. He wrote this last year when he had just turned 13. We did it over a couple of weeks. This is from a kid who literally 18 months before was literally in tears (along with me!) b/c he couldn't figure out how to start writing about a subject he loves. :( IEW gave him the tools to write like I knew he could. When I copied and pasted it it messed with indenting, etc. and the weird numbers in random spots are IEW "dress ups" that help you kids with writing. He is marking those for me to see that he has done his assignment. :thumb:

New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment
By Nathan
Between Colorado, Arizona, and Texas there is the glorious state of New Mexico. Because New Mexico is such a lovely place to live in, it is called The Land of Enchantment. I would never want to leave. It is magnificent. (6)Looking from my window, I can glimpse the mountains. As I sit I can look and find many designs in the face of the mountains. Our landmarks are very important. The Balloon Fiesta is the most exciting part of the year. New Mexico also has many interesting state symbols. There is no place like New Mexico.
New Mexico became a state in 1912 and has some very unique state symbols. It is the 47th state. New Mexico was very persistent in joining the United States as it took over 50 years. Since statehood, its motto is, “It grows as it goes,” which means that as New Mexico increases, it gets stronger. Our state bird is the road runner. It is a very speedy, agile, and short bird. It is very odd looking. It also eats the bug called the Tarantula Hawk Wasp which is our state bug. Surprisingly this insect is the largest wasp in North America. Because of its size, it is much more dangerous than other wasps. (6) It is truly huge! New Mexico’s state flower is the yucca. It looks like it came directly out of a Dr. Suess book. (2)At the base it is a pokey, prickly plant. A stalk grows out of that and at the top there are a bunch of white fluffy upside down flowers. One last interesting thing is that our official state question is “red or green?” If you are from New Mexico, you know that this is referring to chiles. I prefer green. It is not as fiery. I think that everything in New Mexico is exceptional!
New Mexico has a very diverse landscape and many fascinating landmarks. From mountains, to desert, to forest, to grassland, there is something for everyone in New Mexico. White Sands, which is around one hour from Las Cruces, is as white as snowy dunes as far as the eye can possibly witness. (3)It is amazing. There is no place like it on earth. Another place is Carlsbad Caverns. Because the caverns are so huge, they are home to thousands of bats! Inside the caves there are many weird rock formations, called stalagmites and stalactites. Another place is the Sandia Mountains. Sandia, in Spanish means watermelon. (3)Comically, this means that these mountains are the Watermelon Mountains!!! They have the longest tramway in the world. The government once used this tram as a means of transportation for a BEAR to the top of the mountains. This is just a minor part of the amazing landscape of our state.
One unique way to see more of New Mexico is by hot air balloon. Because of the box effect created by the Albuquerque landscape, it makes New Mexico the perfect place for hot air ballooning. The Balloon Fiesta contains the largest collection of hot air balloons in the world. It is a nine day festival held in Albuquerque. It is stunning and surprising. It is like nothing you will ever see in your life. The mass ascension is the best part as hundreds of balloons float lazily on the morning breeze. (6)Balloons are found everywhere. This impressive fiesta began in 1972 with 20 balloons. Only 13 of the 20 made it, due to inclement weather. Because of this disappointment, they tried again the next year. It was an immediate success! Joyfully over 750 balloonists launch there balloons in early October. We look forward to it every year. You can learn the history of the hot air balloon and enjoy a simulated ride at the Balloon Museum.
(6)New Mexico is magnificent. Our landscape is hugely unique to New Mexico. Where else can you drive from mountains, to desert, and from there to the forest? Largely the Balloon Fiesta is as important to New Mexico as our landscape. People come from all over the world. New Mexico is a brilliant place to live. We have many interesting state symbols. I love how different they are. (4)Living in New Mexico is a great place to grow up in. There is no place like New Mexico on earth. It truly is the Land of Enchantment.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. :blush:
Mom to 4 "mini-coopers"-ds12,dd10,ds8, & ds6
Kellyc

Return to Sharing with Each Other