DD spent a long time in Russia, and thinks it was her favorite country to study.
Read about Russian geography, culture and cuisine in Guide to Good Food
Researched Russian recipes in Fast & Fabulous International Cuisine
, and on the internet.
Watched the 1948 movie, Anna Karenina
, starring Vivien Leigh and based on the book by Leo Tolstoy.
Read Last of the Breed
by Louis L’Amour about an American pilot’s escape from a Siberian POW camp.
Read Best Russian Short Stories
by various authors downloaded from HERE
Researched and wrote a biography
about Peter Tchaikovsky. Listened to his works throughout the unit.
Read about Wassily Kandinsky HERE
and created Kandinsky style digital abstract art.
Researched the life of Vladimir Vysotsky, a Russian song writer, poet, and actor, and listened to his song “The Wolfhunt”.
Listened to and copied the lyrics of the song “Leningrad”, by Billy Joel.
Watched an episode of The Wild Wild West
, starring James Conrad, about the czar of Russia sending his brother to America to blackmail Russian immigrants, and wrote a brief summary of it.
Watched White Nights
, a 1985 movie starring Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines, about a Russian ballet dancer.
Played Seterra, a geography computer game from http://www.educational-freeware.com/
, memorizing countries of the former Soviet Union.
Researched the Russian Private Garden Plot Act
which entitles all Russians to a tax free piece of land as long as they produce food on it, and the daschas (family gardens) that are becoming quite sustainable.
Planned, prepared and served a Russian meal consisting of:
- Russian Cheese Spread in a Pumpernickel Bread Bowl, served with assorted vegetables and rye bread pieces.
- Russian Apple Carrot Salad with Honey Oil Dressing, a sweet salad consisting of apples, grated carrots, walnuts, and raisins.
- Blini (flat pastries rolled around a filling and fried) with Meat Filling, served with sour cream.
- Blini (flat pastries rolled around a filling and fried) with Mushroom Filling, served with sour cream.
- Maslo Garokh (buttered peas) with salt.
- Russian Spice Tea, with black tea, orange drink mix, lemon juice, sugar, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Russian Tea Cakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.