Around the World

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

Re: Around the World

Postby Kellyc on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi Wende! :hi: You are creating quite the impressive list. We did something similar almost 5 years ago and are getting ready to do it with my younger boys this next fall. :cheer: :cheer: My kids loved it. This past year we did something similar with each state as we studied the USA!
Mom to 4 "mini-coopers"-ds12,dd10,ds8, & ds6
Kellyc

Postby Wende on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:28 am

Kellyc wrote:Hi Wende! :hi: You are creating quite the impressive list. We did something similar almost 5 years ago and are getting ready to do it with my younger boys this next fall. :cheer: :cheer: My kids loved it. This past year we did something similar with each state as we studied the USA!

:hi: Kelly! We took a trip around the world using Galloping the Globe, FIAR and HSS in elementary school. Fun! Fun! Fun! Now that they are in high school, it is even more fun to look at our old journals and build on those memories with new, age appropriate memories. I had planned to cover the States, with dd preparing regional foods and reading regional literature, but not sure if we will get to it or not. She'll probably choose to carry on her own studies after graduation.
Living and learning along with dh of 27 years, dd17 (2017 hs grad!) and dd20 (2015 hs grad!)
Wende

Postby Kellyc on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:38 am

Fun! Fun! Fun! Is right. :D I love stuff like that. :thumb:
Mom to 4 "mini-coopers"-ds12,dd10,ds8, & ds6
Kellyc

Postby Wende on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:15 pm

Onward to China!

Read about Chinese geography, culture and cuisine in Guide to Good Food.

Researched Chinese recipes in Fast & Fabulous International Cuisine, Galloping the Globe, and on the internet.

Read The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, and wrote an essay, “20 Reasons I Dislike Wang Lung”.

Played Seterra, a geography computer game from http://www.educational-freeware.com/, memorizing countries and flags of Asia and provinces and capitals of China.

Researched flora of China, focusing specifically on the medicinal and edible properties of the plants, using The Way of Herbs by Michael Tierra and other books about herbs.

Watched Kung Fu, a series starring David Carradine.

Read The Little Woman by Gladys Aylward, a missionary in China.

Watched The Inn of the Sixth Happiness starring Ingrid Bergman about Gladys Aylward in China.

Read about Confucianism in Handbook of Today’s Religions by Josh McDowell.

Studied Chinese currencies in the books World Coins by Chester L. Krause and Clifford Mishler, Coins of the World 1750-1850 by W.D. Craig, and The Official Blackbook Price Guide to World Coins by Marc Hudgeons, Tom Hudgeons, Jr., and Tom Hudgeons, Sr.

Wrote out many different Chinese symbols, and learned how to write to ten in commercial Chinese.

Watched a movie, Smile, about a Chinese girl born with cleft palate.

Planned, prepared and served a Chinese meal consisting of:
Sweet and Sour Chicken.JPG

HPIM2467.JPG

- Sweet and Sour Chicken served on Pai-Fan (steamed rice)
- Ch’un-Chuan (Egg Rolls filled with chicken, mung bean sprouts, celery, mushrooms, etc., and deep fried in oil)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living and learning along with dh of 27 years, dd17 (2017 hs grad!) and dd20 (2015 hs grad!)
Wende

Postby Wende on Fri May 08, 2015 8:13 am

DD spent a long time in Russia, and thinks it was her favorite country to study.

Read about Russian geography, culture and cuisine in Guide to Good Food.

Researched Russian recipes in Fast & Fabulous International Cuisine, and on the internet.

Watched the 1948 movie, Anna Karenina, starring Vivien Leigh and based on the book by Leo Tolstoy.

Read Last of the Breed by Louis L’Amour about an American pilot’s escape from a Siberian POW camp.

Read Best Russian Short Stories by various authors downloaded from HERE.

Researched and wrote a biography about Peter Tchaikovsky. Listened to his works throughout the unit.

Read about Wassily Kandinsky HERE and created Kandinsky style digital abstract art.

Researched the life of Vladimir Vysotsky, a Russian song writer, poet, and actor, and listened to his song “The Wolfhunt”.

Listened to and copied the lyrics of the song “Leningrad”, by Billy Joel.

Watched an episode of The Wild Wild West, starring James Conrad, about the czar of Russia sending his brother to America to blackmail Russian immigrants, and wrote a brief summary of it.

Watched White Nights, a 1985 movie starring Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines, about a Russian ballet dancer.

Played Seterra, a geography computer game from http://www.educational-freeware.com/, memorizing countries of the former Soviet Union.

Researched the Russian Private Garden Plot Act which entitles all Russians to a tax free piece of land as long as they produce food on it, and the daschas (family gardens) that are becoming quite sustainable.

Planned, prepared and served a Russian meal consisting of:

Zakuska (Appetizers)
- Russian Cheese Spread in a Pumpernickel Bread Bowl, served with assorted vegetables and rye bread pieces.
- Russian Apple Carrot Salad with Honey Oil Dressing, a sweet salad consisting of apples, grated carrots, walnuts, and raisins.
HPIM2633.JPG

Main Course
- Blini (flat pastries rolled around a filling and fried) with Meat Filling, served with sour cream.
- Blini (flat pastries rolled around a filling and fried) with Mushroom Filling, served with sour cream.
- Maslo Garokh (buttered peas) with salt.
Russian Tea Cakes and Spiced Tea.JPG

Tea
- Russian Spice Tea, with black tea, orange drink mix, lemon juice, sugar, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Russian Tea Cakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wende

Postby Celia on Tue May 12, 2015 4:41 pm

I just love reading about these "trips," Wende! You guys are doing an awesome job! :hop: :hop: :hop:
Celia, homeschooling 12 years with dd 17 and dd14

Dust if you must, but there's not much time, with rivers to
swim and mountains to climb, music to hear and books to
read, family and friends to cherish and life to lead.
Celia

Postby Wende on Wed May 13, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks Celia! I think that will be her last trip. Just 3 more weeks of school!!! She said she loved combing the LA, geography, religions, and cooking (with some history, art, and science dabbling too) and wishes we would have thought of this sooner. She is rounding out her study with filling in a blank world map with continents, countries, bodies of water, mountain ranges, etc. (it is a large wall map I got from Rainbow Resource) and watching and critiquing Around the World in 80 Days and some other videos about world travels. I have personally really enjoyed all the different foods she has made. While I like to cook, I'm not very creative, and never would have attempted some of the dishes J made.
Wende

Previous

Return to Sharing with Each Other