Online Math Curriculum?

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

Online Math Curriculum?

Postby Cindi IA on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:06 pm

HI Ladies,
It's been awhile since I've been on HSS.
I am in need of an online high school math program. My daughter will be in Geometry this year and Algebra II next year. She is tired of me checking her work and doesn't like me correcting her... so we need an online program.. she is very independent. We have used Math-U-See for years and liked it. Does anyone have suggestions??

I know of Khan Academy, is this program enough by itself or does it need a supplement? And if it needs a supplement, what would you recommend?

I also know of YourTeacher online math, $150 for first year thru homeschoolbuyersco-op. A little pricey. A friend used it last year and she said it was ok but they are going back to a textbook this year and also will be using Khan.

Any other online math out there that you recommend?
I really appreciate your help!

Cindi
Cindi in IA
Married to my best friend for 25 years~ ds 22, ds 16, dd 14
Cindi IA

Re: Online Math Curriculum?

Postby Kendra Au on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:22 am

MUS has online classes but boy howdy they aren't cheap. I guess you'd have to decide if it's worth it or not? Can she correct her own work based on trust? In other words she does the work, corrects her work. Circles, in pen, any problem she got wrong, & reworks it. Reports to you what her grade was & how she feels she's doing. You could also prearrange a grade that if she slips below you'll be interfering a bit more.. Just a thought. I've been reading THIS book lately which has me really having my kids take huge strides in independence including correcting their own work.

For one child where we may be more worried about the trust thing I correct with him for now, & will switch him to correcting in front of me in a bit, & then just checking in on him, & so forth until he's off & running on his own. Baby steps..
Kendra Au

Return to Sharing with Each Other