Notebooking Journal for Apologia General Science

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

Notebooking Journal for Apologia General Science

Postby SusanH on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Have you used it, do you like it, is it worth it?

Trying to decide whether to invest in the journal or just use donnayoung. org stuff.

Opinions appreciated.
Susan
wife to Kevin
mom to Maggie-12, Samuel & Simeon-11, Solomon-7
SusanH

Re: Notebooking Journal for Apologia General Science

Postby dacia on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:31 pm

I just bought it for next year and I really like it. It is all scheduled out step by step and I think it will be very helpful
dacia

Postby Beth on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:54 pm

We've used the regular one and the junior, and liked both. We've done water creatures and astronomy. My girls like drawing in them, my son hates that part. I let him print pics and glue them in, which makes us both happy.
Beth
Mom to Isaac (18)(Aspie) Emmy (15) Ella (12) Mac (10) Judah (2)
Follow our fun athttp://www.keeslerchaos.blogspot.com
Beth

Postby Kendra Au on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:48 am

I'm odd man out. I found General Science NB to be.. restricting.

While it is prescheduled I didn't need that because I had a schedule I was happy with. I was frustrated that they put a lot of emphasis on vocabulary but had no place for that to be recorded. They had the kids record lots of the historical information shared & less of the scientific information. So for instance when talking about the Father Of Atoms, my child had to record that man's name, but had no place to record information about Atoms which he found far more fascinating then he did the man dubbed as the finder/discoverer/etc.

I also found it a little scattered. So the historical information per lesson is in the front. While flipping through I found random spots in the back for summaries which were literally fill int he blanks. I didn't use those because when my child summarised the reading for the day to me he was nearly word for word with what was there. He rocks at narrations. :lol:

The experiment stuff is in another location so it's not broken down by lesson as the Elementary versions are. So there's an entire section devoted to the experiments, which is fine, but it felt disjointed in the fact that each experiment was based on your readings so it made more sense to put it with those notes to help you keep track. Granted, a proper science notebook would be broken down a little differently with "lab reports", "Vocabulary", etc.

Anyway, for us it wasn't a hit, but then the only NB we've been SUPER happy with was the one that went alongside Anatomy Elementary. The rest were not bad, but limiting.
Kendra Au

Postby Kellyc on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:34 am

We liked it here. Don't know if you use IEW but Jill just put some notebooking pages in the file on the IEW yahoo loop specifically for apologia gen sciences.
Mom to 4 "mini-coopers"-ds12,dd10,ds8, & ds6
Kellyc

Postby SusanH on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:49 pm

We are 3 weeks into school and she is doing really well with the journal. It has kept her organized and pretty much independent! :hop:
Susan
wife to Kevin
mom to Maggie-12, Samuel & Simeon-11, Solomon-7
SusanH

Return to Sharing with Each Other