Hey Howdy Hello

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

Hey Howdy Hello

Postby Suz MamaFrog on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:40 am

I feel like I should apologize or something.....I sort of just dropped off the face of the Earth about a year ago and have just now emerged. Let me see if I can catch everybody up on the past year's happenings:

*I got a letter in the mail last March about this time telling me that my first marriage that had ended in 1997, I thought, was finally annulled. That raised LOTS of questions as to the validity of my second marriage (and subsequent divorce), status of my children, etc. Turns out it was legally dissolved, just never filed, so I wasn't a polygamist after all! WHEW!

*We had a summer of house guests. There was only one week in June, one week in July, and 1 week in August when there wasn't someone here. Played havoc on business, schooling and family life. Won't be doing that again, ever.

*I had a love affair that ended badly, very badly, from April until August. I'm pretty certain I won't be trying that again any time soon, either.....as one of my Kindergarten students once told me after being pushed off the swing by one of the little boys, "Men can be pigs." And we'll leave that at that. :crazy:

*My best friend's mom - my "other mother" was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer shortly after Labor Day. It's been difficult on all of us, as we're more like family than friends. She's still with us, but she's a shadow of her former self. My friend is also struggling with her health, as she has lupus, and all the strain is affecting her badly. I help out whenever and wherever possible.

*My business crashed in December. I literally had a client die - of cancer - and take a huge chunk of my income to the grave with her. It's been a tough climb back up, and while I'm still not there, things are looking better and brighter.

*I'm finally getting around to writing the LA edition of Homeschooling on the Cheap. I'm about 6,000 words in. The original is still selling well, and my FB group is still growing, although we went through some changes at the first of the year. Come and join us. Everybody's welcome!

*I lost 20 pounds, and then got horribly depressed and put it, and a few more, back on. However, I've started working out again, and about 5 of those are already gone. My goal is to lose 50 pounds this year.

*I've begun teaching quilling - it's a paper art - at the local library. A board member of a local heritage arts center saw some of my work on display at the library and has asked me to join their crafters' guild AND teach classes at their center. I'd actually make money off of these, as I don't at the library, so it looks like it could be another source of (small, extra) income.

*Mr T is 13 now, and has his first crush on a girl in their dance troupe. Miss K is almost 16 and fell madly in love with the son of one of our house guests last summer. He's the best boyfriend ever, as he lives 1500 miles away. No staying out past curfew, no "running out of gas", no "losing track of time". They Skye for HOURS every day, so there's no tying up the phone, either.... :lol:

I think that's it. Spring is coming to the hills and valleys once again, and Life goes on. So, how y'all been? What'd I miss?!? :rofl:

Blessings,
Suz
Not all those who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien

The Cheap Chick
Suz MamaFrog

Re: Hey Howdy Hello

Postby MichelleL on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Yeah, I have been MIA for a while too. Just busy with homeschooling, and life, and a new part time business. And we are new grand parents too. I try to keep in touch some with others on FB.
:hi:
Nourish a child daily with loving, right, and noble ideas...
which may bear fruit in his life.”
--Charlotte Mason, 1842-1923
Happily Homeschooling Peyton age 12 and Lexi age 10.

http://www.lightsonthelake.blogspot.com
MichelleL

Postby Tristan on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:54 pm

Good to read updates! I've been scarce here as well. The last year has had a lot of craziness including the birth of baby #8, multiple surgeries and a failed then repeated surgery for Mason, who just had surgery #12 last week. He's 2 and just had a spinal cord detethering. Add in mothering my brood, keeping the romance alive with dear husband, homeschooling, and there really hasn't been a lot of time for forum visits. The kids are now 7th grade (age 12), 3rd (age 9), 2nd (age 8), gifted K (age 6), Prek (age 5, age 3), toddler (age 2), and baby (age 8 months). We're ready for spring and while Ohio isn't sure spring is here yet we're watching the birds come back and start nesting so it must be close!
Mom to Makayla (12) Joseph (9) Emma (8) Daniel (6), Oliver(5), Caleb (3), Mason 2 w/Spina Bifida, Samuel (9 months), 3 babies in heaven http://www.ourbusyhomeschool.com/ & http://masonsbjournal.blogspot.com/
Tristan

Postby Rachel NC on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 pm

I like to pop in now and then to read what's going on, but I never feel like I have anything interesting to share. Who has time to read anything that is not interesting? My youngest dd will be 11 in May, and we'll finish 5th grade just in time for her birthday. My oldest dd is 21 now, still at home. She is in her second Freshman year of college. :) She went to a private Baptist college for one year (unaccredited) and decided that she did not want to go into the field she was studying for. She went in another career direction and is attending a nearby community college, but since her last school was unaccredited, none of the classes were transferable. Live and learn, right?
I do love catching up with you ladies, and I miss the years when we were all on here and encouraging each other!
Rachel in NC

wife to a wonderful Beau, and mom to dd21 and dd10

Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.
Oswald Chambers
Rachel NC

Postby Helen on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:39 pm

I think it's been pretty quiet on here for a while. Ti thought everybody had disappeared to facebook or something. i seem to spend an awful lot if time on there sometimes :(
We've been really busy over here. DD is now 13 and takes part in so many groups an activities that free time at home is very precious to her. DS is 9 and he does his fair share of stuff but has an added advantage of having two of his best friends as neighbours so he's in and out a lot :0) I've gom self-employed and have started writing Picture Book Explorers and selling them on currclick. I also do knitting and crocheting and sell a little on folksy and etsy but do the occasional craft stall too.
I'm still heavily involved in our local Home Ed groups and have just started a monthly games group to add to our collection of other monthly meetings :) It's great fun. all modern boar games and card games and parents are encouraged to play too :)
Oh, an something I think you ladies might appreciate. My DS chose to get baptised earlier this year :) I have to thank you all on here for being instrumental in leading my family back to church, I was very much not a christian when I joined this board, but I am now :) And it was reading a lot of peoples posts on here that opened my eyes to a new way of seeing xxxxx
Helen :0)
Mum to DS(27) DD(11) DS(7) http://englishweather.blogspot.com/
Helen

Postby MichelleL on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Ok where is the like button? LOL yeah I think fb is making life much easier today. Information at your fingertips. I miss hanging out here, but I just can't find time. I just remembered today to come check my post, that I asked questions about.

My son begins high school next year-so I am in the midst of planning. Lexi begins 7th grade.
I began a part time business last year-and just 2 weeks ago began a ministry to the local jail. We do a weekly bible study there in the maximum security side. So life has been very busy lately.

Hope to keep in touch. Friend me on FB. Michelle Light
Nourish a child daily with loving, right, and noble ideas...
which may bear fruit in his life.”
--Charlotte Mason, 1842-1923
Happily Homeschooling Peyton age 12 and Lexi age 10.

http://www.lightsonthelake.blogspot.com
MichelleL

Postby Kellyc on Sun May 04, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi there! :hi: I jump on every once in a while. :thumb: Super busy with the kids and their homeschooling this past year and I don't see it slowing down. :eek: BUT...it has been a wonderful year. We have loved "most" of it. lol Lots of teaching challenges for me this year, but good.
ds13, dd (almost 11 at the end of this month), ds8, and ds7. :crazy: Need I say more! Nice to "see" everyone. :cheer:
Mom to 4 "mini-coopers"-ds12,dd10,ds8, & ds6
Kellyc

Return to Sharing with Each Other