Which Math Games?

Talk about homeschooling. Talk about homemaking. Talk about talking. Just talk, but remember to be nice.

Moderators: jason, MarcyKY

Which Math Games?

Postby Edwena on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Since my math meltdown post, I have been doing a Math game with dd everyday that we've had school. She likes it and so do I. Seems like it's helping her retain some things as well. Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a set of Math games.

Does anyone have experience with some of the following?

Rightstart Math Games

Giggle Facts

Math Games to Master Basic Skills: Addition & Subtraction

Shuffling Into Maths

I know two of the products have a broader focus (more than addition/subtraction), so they'd definitely be able to be used longer. I don't know if I should be so concerned with that right now. I am sure Kendra and Ami are familiar with some of the above. So if you were me and were only going to buy one thing, which would it be? Anyone else familiar with the above? The ones with the broader focus do they have a really good variety of games for addition and subtraction?
~~Edwena~~ wife to my best friend, joyful momma to my roller coaster loving ds(11), horse loving dd(9)and expecting Elisabeth Faith in Feb. of 2014
Edwena

Re: Which Math Games?

Postby Suz MamaFrog on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Don't know a THING about those, but I DO know several "ordinary" games that reinforce/use basic math skills:

Monopoly - adding and subtracting larger numbers, making change/working with money
PayDay - adding and subtracting larger numbers, making change/working with money
The Game of Life - adding and subtracting larger numbers, making change/working with money
Yahtzee - multiplication, adding larger numbers
GeoBoards - geometry concepts
Tangrams - geometry concepts
Pentominoes - geometry concepts
Clue - logic, deduction, problem solving
Chess - logic, deduction, strategy, problem solving
Rack-O - sequencing, greater than/less than
MasterMind - logic, problem solving
Battleship - grid/graph coordinates

My go to resources for math games and activities are the books Family Math and Family Math for Middle School. Some nice games and activities can be purchased from the Boxcars and One Eyed Jacks folks, too. I like these because they don't focus on just one skill or one skill level. They cover a wide variety of skills and even I sometimes find some of them challenging.

We often make up our own games. One the kids really like is Combinations. Choose a target number. Deal out four cards. Using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, try and see how closely you can come to that number. Score 1 point for each number off from the target score. After 5 rounds, the player with the lowest score is the winner.

All this to say that I don't think you need to spend a bunch of money on games specifically for MATH, when you probably have games that can be used as math games already in the house.......

HTH!
Suz
Not all those who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien

The Cheap Chick
Suz MamaFrog

Postby Kendra Au on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:45 pm

I *LOVE* Shuffle Into Math! :D GOBS of great games in there and we've yet to play ONE my kids didn't like! We also have another of their volumes, and this year I'd like to obtain 2-3 more. :D
Kendra Au

Postby Kendra Au on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:50 pm

BUT, Edwena, did you know there's an American and Canadian source for the Shuffling Into Maths game? You don't have to pay Aussie rates and shipping for it. :D
Kendra Au

Postby KaylaNC on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 pm

My little girl that is similar to yours loves playin Sheppards Software, its free and fun games: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm

Hope you might try that!! XOXO
Mother of 3 wonderful homeschooled children!!
I haven't stopped looking for the good in people. I've just accepted the fact, that I'm not always going to find it...

http://thearrowoodzoo.blogspot.com
KaylaNC

Postby carriejoy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 am

You may know that you can watch the Rightstart games on Youtube. Kind of nice to get the "gist" before plunging with a purchase.

We have played triominoes with GREAT success here. (sort of makes *my* head swim!) but it has a lot of adding and subtracting to it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triominoes

Ours are black, not white like the picture. :)
Eme10; Einar 9; William 4
carriejoy

Postby jimmy10 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:33 pm

I like to play web browser math games and the kids love number munch on this math games website
jimmy10

Postby debbie in ak on Thu May 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Edwena- I know that this is an old post (I was searching "math games" on HSS and found it), but we have really loved the Rightstart math games even though we don't use Rightstart for math. The box of games covers addition, subtration, multiplication, division, money and clocks and fractions. I am using them this summer to teach Noah fractions.

http://unafamiliaalaskena.blogspot.com/ ... ummer.html
Debbie
Wife to Tim, Mom to 2 boys
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
debbie in ak

Return to Sharing with Each Other